Learn How to Buy Your Home the Smart Way With LUCHA
Through bilingual workshops and individual counseling, our knowledgeable counselors will help you purchase your first home. Our staff explains how to maintain good credit, choose a home and select the right loan for your budget. LUCHA helps facilitate grants for home buyers from state agencies and other resources
LUCHA’s Homeownership program incentives:
- Free Homebuyers Education workshops (see schedule)
- Credit and budget counseling
- Financial Assistance to help pay for down payment and closing costs, funded by the Illinois Housing Development Authority (see if you qualify)
- Real estate attorneys and home inspectors at a discounted rate
First Time Homebuyer Workshops
Our workshops provide the information and tools to buy your first home. The workshops are in English are offered on various Saturdays of the month.
Please click here for workshop times, dates, and locations. Or call LUCHA at 773-489-8484 for more information.
Workshop participants learn:
- Good credit habits
- Household budgeting
- Home selection and home buying process
- Responsibilities of home ownership
- Debt management
- Loan eligibility
- Mortgage loan process
Participants receive a First Time Homebuyer Certificate upon completion of the course. It is valid for one year.
For more information or to sign up for a workshop please contact our housing counselors at 773-489-8484 or view our workshop calendar.
New: An Online Homebuyer Education Option
For a limited time, we’re partnering with eHome America to offer homebuyer education that can be completed online (English and Spanish language options available). Use the coupon code “LUCHA25” to receive a $25 discount on your homebuyer education course.
For more questions regarding this program, please contact our housing counselors at 773-489-8484 or visit our eHome America page for more information. Please note that additional in-person/telephone consultation with one our housing counselors may be necessary to qualify for additional homebuyer assistance grants.
One-on-One Homebuyer Counseling
Once you have completed LUCHA’s First Time Homebuyer Workshop you are eligible for one-on-one counseling with our trained Housing Counselors.
Depending on your individual needs we help you:
- Review savings and assets
- Select the appropriate mortgage
- Work with the bank and realtors
- Move forward through the closing process
- Purchase your new home!
Grant and Differed Loan Qualification Checklist
Some home-seekers are also eligible to receive grants to help reduce their mortgage payment and cover some closing costs.
- You must have attended a LUCHA First Time Home Buyers Workshop.
- Property must be a single family home.
- Property must be in the Chicago Metro area.
- Maximum Debt Ratio of 41%.
- 30 year fixed rate mortgage or FHA loan for at least 20 years. No ARMs or balloon mortgages are eligible.
- Family must be within income requirements:
Grant Income requirements
|Number of Family Members||Moderate Income|
(80% of median)
(50% of median)